Friday, October 28, 2011

My last days of school


PHOTO: My last group photo with students, staff, and PTA members of Matamaka GPS.

All good things must come to an end. I was granted an early COS with my Peace Corps service in the Kingdom of Tonga. As a result, my COS date was moved to September 24, 2011. It truly has been an honor and privilege to have worked in Matamaka for the two years. I have learned so much about myself and about the Tongan culture. I couldn't have asked for more picturesque sight in the world! Matamaka GPS was surrounded by crystal clear blue water on three sides with 'Ovava trees perfected located to hang my hammock.

Faita: Malo 'aupito ngaue lahi fanau 'ako! 'Ofa 'atu lahi! Kauleka Matamaka mo e fuka 'amelika.

My last week of teaching was a bittersweet moment. I love the kids, but they also drive me bonkers half the time. I have pushed them so much with English in the past two years. I have seen significant improvement with their language development since my arrival to Matamaka. We have been hard at work preparing for the big Secondary Entrance Exam. Three out of the five class six students are passing the English portion of the exams. We still had another month to bring up the other two. Regardless, I am very optimistic they will all do very well on the exam.

PHOTO: Who wants to do more sentence writing?

I dedicated my last week at Matamaka finishing up the last minute renovations at the library. This included trying to log all of the books and school materials in our new stock registry. Organizing all of the books on the new shelves has also been quite a task since we have SO many new materials. Pitisi and Ma'asi have been great with helping me with everything. I made sure I took enough photos with the kids before I left Matamaka. These were some of the highlights. I will follow up with another blog entry with actual leaving Matamaka as it deserve its own entry. What can I say? It was a challenging assignment, but also an amazing opportunity at the same time. Thank you Matamaka GPS for everything! I will never forget all of the fond memories I had.
PHOTO: Ma'asi and Pitisi with the kids in front of the library.

5 comments:

  1. nice blog, beautiful pictures. keep going

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear all, what do you think about My Videos on :
    Tonga Holiday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hicShUvHqFo
    Thanks
    Greeting from
    http://virtual-bruneidarussalam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete


  4. Dear Customers,

    We invite you all to participate in our new business and project funding program, We are currently funding for Business start-up Business developments, Business acquisition Business expansion, Project funding and Working capital etc.

    This Funding program allows a client to enjoy 3% low interest rate and payback period of 1 to 15 years. We can approve a loan/funding for up to a Million Dollars, Euros, Pounds or more depending on the nature of business we are currently funding for and we satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed

    Application Available
    Apply via E-mail: challotloan@gmail.com
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete